Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Here he is...

Tuesday, August 21st 2007, began like any normal day here in the Stuart house. Jennifer woke up to go to work around 4:30am as Jay, Peanut and Napoleon continued to slumber until the usual 6:30 - 7:00am. I must say it was one of the best nights of sleep I have had in a few months. Around 5:30 this morning we (meaning Jay, Peanut and Napoleon) were awaken to the sounds of "I think my water just broke..." Of course, I had to ask the question..."How do you know?" Once the answer came out as "I have had water running down my legs and thru my pants for the last 1/2 hour," we knew the time had come for Charlie's arrival. We quickly threw clothes in a bag, made the initial phone calls and coaxed the puppies into their crate. By 5:50 we were out the door and one the way to the metropolis that is Denton, TX. After confirmation that the labor and delivery process had begun, we began the prep steps for Jenn's planned c-section. After a visit from Dr. Wilson, hugs and consulation with Aunt Amanda, and a few last minute prayers, Jenn was carted off to the OR. A short time after that...the longest 10 minutes of my life...I was wisked away in full "painters gear" (we're talking blue jumpsuit apparatus, feet covers, mask and hat - I'm guessing they didn't want my grey-bald jean to pass to Charlie so soon) to the OR. After briskly walking around the "cutting" area I took my seat next to Jenn and the Smart-ass Anathesiologist (I do apolgize for the language and spelling error)...more to come on our him later. Within 10 minutes, I saw Charlie lifted from Jenn's belly and briskly taken to the area where he was to be cleaned and checked out. It was the most beautiful and breath-taking event/scene I have ever witnessed...oceans, mountains, monuments and Hooters' girls just don't look so good anymore. A little background before I move on with the story. As our friend the anathesiologist came to introduce himself to us, check Jenn's medical history and go over the procedure this morning, he casualy asked me if I intended to get squeemism, pass out, throw up and/or all of the above. We advised him that getting squeeism was a very real possiblity. He laughed and showed me the "smelling salt." As I waited patiently to photograph Charlie, I caught my 2nd and 3rd glimpse of Jenn's procedure. These looks and the general anxiety, exhaustion and anticipation of our life with Charlie finally hit home. After several minutes of coaxing (i.e. yelling) by the nurses present, a sweat resembling a marathon runner, and eyes rolling back in my head like a drunkard, I decided to lay on the floor as calls of "We've got a Daddy down in here" rang out to the nurse's station. Before anyone else could arrive, our friend the anathesiolgist, brought me the smelling salt and I was back on my feet (with his hand in, not on but in, my back) taking the first pictures of the most precious child you have ever seen in your life. A short time later I was given a cup of juice, threw it back like a shot of tequilla, stripped my painter apparatus and was in the nursery taking more pictures and examing the little man. It sounds so cliche, but I found myself counting his fingers and toes (10 of each), examing his feet, hair, nostrils, hands and just about anything else you could imagine. I was a little sad not to see a sixth digit on his left hand to aid Charlie in the art of perfecting the most deadly left handed change-up since Tom Glavine. As I write now, Charlie and Mom are doing well. I have come home for the evening to stay with Peanut and Napoleon. It gives them a chance to smell me and my clothes and hopefully start getting used to Charlie's smell. Napoleon was so cute when I got home. After his usual search for the female human, I told the dogs that Charlie came today. Napoleon ran in Charlie's room and immediately began curiously looking for the new human. Jennifer is in a little bit of pain still...who can blame her after having her abdomen cut open today. Charlie it doing well also. The pedetrician and his nurses say things are going great. He is having a little trouble spitting up, which of couse scares Daddy to no end. Here are his stats...Charlie weighed in at 6 lbs, 8 oz, 18 inches long, with what appears to be very dark brown eyes and blond, curly hair. While his hair and eyes are of course subject to change...it looks like he got some family jean that by-passed Jenn and I in the hair department. After Jenn got her first "good" look at Charlie and I described his hair, I told her that he was going to have Carlos Valderamma hair (google him for a visual). Charlie looks like a baby...it's far to early to say he favors anyone at this time. However, he does have my ears. Brace yourselfs...here is the first appearance of Charles Brian Stuart II. So, there you have it. Charlie decided it was time to make his grand entrance today. He was 3 weeks early. He decided he could wait no longer. As we watched his first baseball game tonight...the Texas Rangers at the Baltimore Orioles...he informed me that it was pennant race time and he couldn't miss any of it. The Braves are chasing the hated NY Mets in the NL East and the San Diego Padres for the Wild Card, thus it was time for Charlie to come out and root on Chipper, Tex, Mac, Frenchy, Smoltzy, the big fat closer-guy (Heart-Attack Wickman) and the rest of America's team as they attempt to win a World Championship in Charlie's birth year. Tomorrow he will get his intoduction to soccer and spanish as the US Men's National team takes on Sweden, exclusively on Galavision (a Spanish language network). He will get to root on Landon, Run DMB, Duece, Timmay!!!, Boca, Gooch and the rest of the boys as they attempt to take there first win since defeating Mexico in the finals of the 2007 Copa Oro (Gold Cup) in June. We would like to thank everyone for their continued love, support, thoughts and prayers. They mean the world to us anywhere, expecially here in Texas -- 1000 miles way from most of our family and friends. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers and I will continue to send hugs, kisses and love to Jennifer, Charlie, Peanut and Napoleon. I leave you tonight, to retire to the living room floor to watch the DVR of tonight's Braves game with the dogs, with two final notes. (1) I am sorry for the spelling and grammer errors. It's never been my strong suit, and if heredity from Great Grandfather C.E. Stuart (Paw-Paw), to Grandfather Stuart (Papa) to Father Stuart (Daddy) has any say in it, it won't be Charlie's either; and (2) Big cousin Matthew could not be more excited. He introduced himself to Charlie and told Charlie a big "Hi, Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!" several times. In fact, Matthew wanted to buy Charlie a present...he wanted to get him a Guido (see Disney's Cars or "the CAR movie"). We consider it any honor, after all Guido is the only one that has the skills and quickness to change all the race car's tires. Unfortunately, Charlie had to settle for a package that included Lighting McQueen, Mater, and the tractor dubbed "Pinky." In parting, here is just how excited Matthew is...almost excited as the proud Daddy...

1 comment:

Cathy P. (Momrlp) said...

He's beautiful!! Of course, where else would he have gotten that blonde curly hair except from his Aunt Cathy???? Love you guys- Can't wait to see more pictures! Take care!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker